Monday, July 21, 2008

Sponge Bob....the low down

Ok.....so normally Sponge Bob is not really a cartoon seen often in our house for two reasons: #1 - Kylee calls it a "boys show" and #2 - I think the show is pretty funny but a little beyond their years. Well, #2 was confirmed to me just a few days ago. There was nothing really on TV, I was trying to prep Emma's room for painting and Greg was gone river rafting with the youth in our ward (lucky). Anyways, I put on Sponge Bob.....the premise of this show was that S.B. (Sponge Bob) was allowed to wear the hall monitor uniform home for the night cause he took so long giving his acceptance speech that he didn't have time to do his "job" during school. He started "helping" out his little underwater town and making a huge mess. A warrant went out for the arrest of "the maniac" (what they were calling S.B.) with warrant posters that had S.B. picture on it. Seriously, who writes these things! Anyways, there was a point in the show where S.B. is standing under a street lamp and his starfish friend is telling him to get out of there (from a distance) cause "the maniac" was right on top of him. At this point Kylee started freaking out....I mean really scared that "the maniac" was going to get S.B.! How do you explain to a 4 year old that S.B. is the maniac when even S.B. or his starfish friend don't know he's the maniac (even though S.B. is the only one standing under the streetlight). I was just dying laughing.....mean I know but come on it was funny! Anyways, Sponge Bob, rated G for gotta be a little older to get it :)!

8 comments:

Cristin said...

That's funny because people always offer Luke, Spongebob stickers and he has no idea who Spongebob is. I really agree that it is for older kids. I don't know why people think a 2 year old would like it.

kel said...

I've never even watched the show but that is FUNNY!

Susanne said...

Yeah, that show is pretty funny. But definitely not a show I let Kate & Gavin watch. Although Kate would watch anything that's a cartoon... That sounded like a funny episode though!

Huhtala Family said...

I too am guilty of occasionally letting my kids watch spongebob (and find myself sitting down to watch sometimes too) It gets hard when you have older kids. The things you NEVER would have let your first child watch until they were 6 are now being watched by your 2 year old! It's ok, I remember watching a lot of not very "age appropriate" movies as a kid and not realizing how bad they were until I re-watched them as an adult. I was shocked!

Dave Dyk said...

Ha! That's funny! I've never seen the show, but I've heard it's a bit more mature than say Sesame Street, etc. Yes, Jonah makes that pouty face quite a bit, but he makes all sorts of funny faces these days. I have yet to catch most with my camera, but he's definitely a goof-ball!

Celestia said...

My favorite line from Spongebob is S.B.: "Patrick, your genius is showing."
Patrick: "Where?"

Mary Child said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary Child said...

Karin, I'm sorry, I just realized in reading the comment I left a few days ago that I comitted a blogging sin by stating the city you'd moved to. Sorry! I am a bit clueless at times, and always blame it on sleep-deprivation!

So, Spongebob is a regular in our household... I even knew the episode you were referring to without having to read very far into your entry! I am lax about a lot of things, apparently, 'cause I think Spongebob is great.