Monday, June 23, 2008

Got Milk?

Well, today was my first day on my "own".....Greg headed back to work. It was inevitable! My little taste of reality started at 5:30 this morning when I woke up to feed Emma and as I was laying her down Kylee walked out of her room for the day. Note to self.....GO TO BED EARLIER! I don't know why I wait up to get in that last feeding at 11:30pm just so I only have to wake up twice instead of three times. This was a great strategy when I only had one or even when I had Sarah and Kylee was taking naps still.....with no naps in any foreseeable future I really need stop doing this. As far as an update on life in general.....everything is actually going well. Its as hard as I thought it would be.....lots of scheduling and juggling. Kylee loves being a big sister and often comments "she's so cute!" and "Is she a girl? 'Cause she has short hair?". Sarah is also loving being a big sister but in a very hands on way. She loves to squeeze Emma and also give her LOTS of kisses. She has already picked her up twice when I had my back turned.....once where she transferred her from her bouncy seat to the floor. I usually am guarding Emma or having Kylee guard Emma now. Besides being tired I love having a newborn! They are so cute and sweet and quiet! The only hard part about being a new mom (besides the no sleep) is the whole feeling like a dairy farm over here. Don't get me wrong....I really do love being able to nurse and the convenience that it is (most of the time). However, I do not love drenching a towel at each feeding (I produce milk for a small country) and having to find a place to nurse every time she gets thirsty. Most of you know that I had "issues" nursing with Kylee but then was able to with Sarah. For those of you lost.....with Kylee she did not want to suck.....she chewed.....even with a nursing shield she chewed (quite painful). I opted to not pump and feed because it was so crazy with a new baby! She's fine I promise! With Sarah I was able to but it was not without its many many trials (i.e. cracked nipples for 3 months....yes you can get those even with proper latching if you are constantly wet, mastitis, thrush) yet I hung on for 10 months. I am pleased to say that this time everything seems to be much better and I understand why other Mom's think breastfeeding is a piece of cake. I already had mastitis once but overall I feel much more like I know what i'm doing besides the wet towel factor. So, yes we are alive.....hanging in there and enjoying the rollercoaster of three beautiful girls!

7 comments:

Shirley said...

Good to hear you're doing ok. I'm glad the breastfeeding is going well. Did Sarah turn out to be overly clingy/jealous? Let me know if you need anything! I know we're not exactly down the street anymore and I have my own little one on the way. But seriously, let me know if I can help.

emaalyon said...

What a sweet baby. Congraulations making it through your first day by yourself! Although I never got to transition from two kids to three...only one to three, it does get easier. Sorry about the mastitis; I know it's awful. I hope you enjoy your new little one.

Mindy and Benjamin said...

Way to go Karin! Nursing can be so fun! You're right that baby really is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

i still need to call you, note to self I need to be a better friend! She is absolutley gorgeous. and you are doing a great job!

Susanne said...

Is it just me, or did Sarah's hair grow long all of a sudden? She's looking a lot older... And Emma is so cute! I can't wait for our Sacramento weekend!!!

kel said...

Such beautiful girlies!! You are sooo lucky (blessed) that Emma is such a sweet, quiet, good mannered baby!! I'm so glad I got to meet her in person. I love how diverse your girls are...each has her own personality and qualities about her!! Sorry I've been M.I.A. these past few days...i'll call you tomorrow! p.s. blog layout looks familiar :)

Huhtala Family said...

Man, for having just had a baby you've done a lot of blogging! You know I agree with you completely on nursing. It's miserable, it's painful, I get infections and clogged ducts and for some insane reason I hung thru for a full year (plus some) for all 4 children. The worst part were the lactation books that made you feel like if it hurts, your doing something wrong. Sooooo not true in some cases. I hope this one is practically pain free for you!